Brownsville Road has been referred to as the spine of Carrick.
The road begins in Mt Oliver Borough, where South 18th Street ends after winding its way up out of the South Side. The road passes through the Mt Oliver Business District. The Carnegie Library – Knoxville sits on Brownsville Road.
In Carrick, Brownsville Road continues through several business districts, including the Carrick Dairy District.
- The historic William Wigman House sits at 1425 Brownsville Road.
- Pittsburgh Special-T Dairy, formerly Colteryahn Dairy, is located at 1601 Brownsville Road.
- St Basil Church is situated in the 1700 block.
- The Carnegie Library – Carrick is at 1811 Brownsville Road.
- The Carrick Regency is in the 2100 block.
- Hillcrest Senior Residences are situated in the 2900 block.
Numerous retail businesses have opened along Brownsville Road.
Carrick is a community of predominantly middle-income homeowners, with a commercial strip along the neighborhood’s Brownville Road ‘spine.’
Department of City Planning (1974), cited by the Carrick-Overbrook Historical Society
51-Carrick buses travel Brownsville Road around the clock.
Over the years, Carrick Tree Tenders have planted 200 trees, mostly around Brownsville Road. Trees beautify the area and improve the environment.
Regular trash clean ups throughout the year have also help with the appearance of Brownsville Road in Carrick.
When Brownsville Road leaves Carrick, it enters Brentwood Borough, crosses Saw Mill Run Boulevard, works its way through the South Hills – the southern suburbs of Pittsburgh – and ends at Brownsville, Fayette County, PA.
Long ago, Brownsville Road wasn’t traveled by cars or buses. No trolley tracks ran down the center of the street. There were no stagecoaches or Conestoga wagons on it. It was a path that Native Americans followed as a trade route.
Following the Revolutionary War, Pittsburgh defined the westernmost part of these United States – everything west of PA was, officially, territories to be settled. Brownsville Road was heavily used by settlers traveling west to settle in the Northwest Territory – lands that eventually became parts of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota. The road was important for mail delivery. It was a place to change horses.
Along with being a nationally important road, Brownsville Road served as a trade route for local farmers and merchants. When Carrick was mined for coal in the 1800s, it was transported on Brownsville Road. It was a dirt road. When it rained, commerce bogged down until the road was paved with bricks.
During the 1800s, people traveling to Pittsburgh on Brownsville Road often stayed at the Point View Hotel. At the time, the stretch of Brownsville Road where the hotel was situated was part of Baldwin Township. Brentwood Borough came into existence in the early 1900s.
When the Carrick Municipal Building was constructed in the early 1900s, it made sense to locate it on Brownsville Road. The building is still there – although it hasn’t been used for borough business in nearly a century.
Old Pittsburgh Railways trolley tracks ran down the center of Brownsville Road until recent times. The tracks ended just past Pittsburgh city limits at the Brentwood Loop. The Carrick-Overbrook Historical Society has pictures of Brownsville Road with the tracks.
Historically significant places in Pittsburgh and the region are identified by the Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation. They honored two buildings along Brownsville Road in Carrick. One is at St. Basil’s Roman Catholic Church, 1735 Brownsville Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15210, which was built in 1923. The other is at Concord Elementary School, 2350 Brownsville Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15210, which was built in 1939.